Remember when you were young and you couldn’t wait to become an adult, you dreamed about all the joyous things that would come with age. And then you become an adult and some days you fantasise about going back to being a kid with not a care in the world.
While adulthood comes with a wealth of responsibility, it also gives you the opportunity to finally do all those joyous things you dreamed about, like weekends in Paris or not having to convince your mum that this dress will change your life.
Some official signs you are now an adult include the following:
- You no longer can survive on two hours sleep, if you don’t get at least 8 hours well then just forget it.
- Coffee is your best friend.
- You have started to incorporate anti-wrinkle cream in your skincare routine because we all know prevention is better than cure.
- Having to choose groceries over shoes is now a thing because you can no longer rely on your Mum to feed you.
- You own a sensible, comfortable pair of shoes because you have got sh*t to do and your feet hurting is not helping.
- Post is no longer exciting because you know it won’t be a birthday card or a letter from a pen pal, it is a bill – it’s always a bill!
- You have finally realised that saving is important, that dress may be pretty but will it help you buy a house? I think not.
- Sometimes you say things and think oh my god I am my Mother –“all them sweets are bad for your teeth, you know”.
- Laundry takes over your life. Gone are the days you would put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket and a few days later they would magically reappear on your bed, washed and ironed.
- You no longer care what people think as you are most focused on the things that make you happy.
- Socialising with friends is now more about food than drink.
- Sometimes staying in on Friday night snuggled up watching movies with your significant other is the best night ever.
- If it involves being out pass 11pm on a work night then it is just not happening.
- Suddenly interior design is your favourite hobby because getting to put your own stamp on your home is just the best.
- Sometimes when you’re sick you have to just pull yourself together and get on with it, you can’t stay at home and whinge to your Mum as she brings you chicken soup and dotes on you.
- You have come to realise your time is precious and will now avoid drama at all costs.
- You have become somewhat of a wine connoisseur. It is no longer about which is the cheapest like it was back in your college days when all wine tasted great with some 7up.
- Hangovers used to be feeling a little tired in the morning but now they are debilitating and last for at least two days.
- The era you grew up in is now an era and there are dedicated club nights which always include fancy dress #90sparty.
- You care a lot about what you put into your body and greens are now your friend.
- You read the news because you care about things that are happening outside of your bubble.
So are you officially an adult?